Onions soaked in apple cider vinegar spice up this healthy take on the classic club sandwich. Using turkey bacon and a spread made from avocado and nonfat Greek yogurt helps you watch your calories without sacrificing flavor.
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 8 slices turkey bacon
- 1 Hass avocado, halved and pitted
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 slices whole-grain bread, lightly toasted
- 8 small leaves romaine lettuce
- 1 tomato, cut into 8 slices
- 12 ounces sliced low-sodium deli turkey breast
- 1/2 small English cucumber, sliced
- Toss the onion with the vinegar and 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Let stand 15 minutes, then drain. Meanwhile, cook the turkey bacon as the label directs until crisp.
- Mash the avocado with the yogurt in another small bowl until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay 4 slices of bread on a cutting board and spread with half of the avocado-yogurt mixture. Top with the lettuce and tomato and season with salt and pepper. Add a layer of turkey breast, bacon, cucumber and red onion. Spread the remaining avocado mixture on the remaining 4 bread slices and place spread-side down on top of the sandwiches. Cut each sandwich in half to serve.
Per serving: Calories 418; Fat 17 g (Saturated 4 g); Cholesterol 67 mg; Sodium 1,349 mg; Carbohydrate 39 g; Fiber 14 g; Protein 31 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine