Start the night before for a delicious morning treat! This baked French toast is layered with apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar to make your family’s breakfast the envy of the neighborhood.
- 1 loaf Aunt Millie’s Texas Toast Bread
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ c. milk
- 1/3 c. sugar plus 2 Tbsp. divided
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 6 apples – peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ c. sugar
- ¼ c. flour
- ½ c. butter, melted
- ½ c. brown sugar
- ½ c. milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Yield: 8 servings
- The night before serving, cut bread into fingers and place in a lightly greased 9” x 13” baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with milk, sugar, and vanilla. Pour half of this mixture over the bread fingers.
- Arrange apple slices over the top of the bread layer. Sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg, and 2 Tbsp. sugar over the apples.
- Repeat steps for a second layer, ending with a layer of apples. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Place into a preheated 350 degree oven.
- Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar, flour, and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in remaining ingredients and cook until thick.
- Serve French toast hot with the warm sauce drizzled over the top.