A classic deli sandwich becomes a classic casserole! Use corned beef or pastrami (we don’t want to start a fight), just make sure to include sauerkraut.
- 6 slices rye bread, cubed
- 1 lb. corned beef or pastrami
- 1 c. sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- ½ c. dill pickles, chopped
- 4 c. Swiss cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs
- 1 c. milk
- ¼ c. yellow mustard
- ¼ c. Thousand Island dressing
- ½ tsp. pepper
Yield: 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a deep 11” x 7” baking dish. Line the dish with half of the bread cubes.
- Cover with half the corned beef, sauerkraut, pickles, and cheese. Repeat layering process for second layer.
- Combine the eggs, milk, mustard, Thousand Island, and pepper. Pour over the casserole.
- Top with remaining bread cubes.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden and set in the center.